This policy is designed to inform members and affiliates about CTTC’s practices regarding collection, use and disclosure of information that may be provided to CTTC.
1. Commitment to Privacy: CTTC is committed to controlling the collection, use and disclosure of the personal information provided by its members and affiliates.
2. Personal Information: For the purposes of the Policy, "Personal Information” means any information, recorded in any form, about any identified individual or any individual whose identity may be inferred or determined from the information, but does not include business contact information.
3. Consent: CTTC will seek consent prior to the collection, use and disclosure of personal information as required by applicable privacy legislation. Subject to legal and contractual requirements, members or affiliates can refuse to consent to CTTC’s collection, use or disclosure of personal information about that individual. Individuals may also withdraw consent to any further collection, use or disclosure of information at any time by providing reasonable notice. If CTTC’s intended disclosures or uses of information change, CTTC will notify accordingly. Consent is confirmed annually upon completion of the membership application form.
4. Collection: Personal information is collected by CTTC only when individuals specifically and knowingly provide it to CTTC, such as when individuals become members of CTTC or choose to receive information, products or services from CTTC. CTTC may also receive personal information from other organizations or third parties provided that such third parties confirm to CTTC that they have obtained consent to the disclosure of personal information. Publicly available information, such as a public directory listing of name, address, telephone number and electronic address, is not considered personal information.
5. Use: CTTC uses personal information for the following purposes:
- to communicate about membership and membership benefits (including renewal forms and reminders);
- to provide information related to CTTC projects, services, conferences, elections, events or other information which is deemed of interest;
- to provide CTTC publications such as Ask the Expert artices or newsletters from CTTC Special Interest Groups, Committees or Initiatives, email updates and bulletins, and other electronic or printed publications that are deemed by CTTC as important;
- to contact members, affiliates and delegates from time to time to conduct research and surveys in an effort to continually improve services and programs.
6. Disclosure: CTTC discloses personal information to the following parties and in the following circumstances:
- Website Directory: CTTC posts on its website a directory of its members, including mailing address, phone, fax and email address. The directory will be posted in a "members only” area of the site, protected by password. Members who do not wish to have their contact information posted in the members area of the CTTC website may indicate this preference on the CTTC membership or renewal form, or notify the Head Office at any time by providing reasonable notice.
- Industry and Organizational Affiliates: CTTC provides mailing addresses to industry and organizational affiliates, for the purposes of mailing items which CTTC deems to be of interest to CTTC members. All mailings must first be submitted for approval to CTTC. All third parties are permitted to use the mailing list once only, and only for the approved mailing. All third parties receiving mailing lists must comply with state and local regulations. Members who do not wish to have their mailing addresses provided for third-party mailings may indicate this preference on the CTTC membership or renewal form, or notify the Head Office at any time by providing reasonable notice.
7. Accuracy: CTTC will make reasonable efforts to ensure personal information is accurate, complete and up-to-date. Members and affiliates are expected to inform CTTC of any change of name, address or other information. In the event that a member has questions about the accuracy of factual information collected, the member will have access to verify and update the information. If inaccurate information has been disclosed to a third party, CTTC will contact the third party to correct the information.
9. Principles of Fair Information Practices: CTTC adheres by the following principles of fair information practices:
CTTC will identify the purpose for which personal information is collected at or before the time the information is collected. The purposes for which information is collected, used or disclosed by CTTC must be those that a reasonable person would consider are appropriate in the circumstances.
The knowledge and consent of the individual are required for the collection, use or disclosure of personal information, except where consent is not required by privacy legislation.
10. CTTC shall limit the collection of personal information to that which is necessary for the purposes identified. Personal information shall be collected by fair and lawful means. Personal information shall not be used or disclosed for purposes other than those for which it was collected, except with the consent of the individual or as required by law. Personal information shall be retained only as long as necessary for the fulfilment of the purposes for which it was collected. Personal information shall be as accurate, complete and up-to-date as is necessary for the purposes for which it is to be used.
11. CTTC shall make readily available to its members specific information about its policies and practices relating to the management of personal information.